Mitsa Co. Candle Care 101
A guide to caring for your candles.
Hello, new candle owner! As a new proud owner, here's your ultimate guide to properly burn your candles. Check out the basics and some other candle facts that you didn't know!
1. WHAT ARE SOME BASIC CANDLE CARE TIPS EVERY CANDLE OWNER SHOULD KNOW?
Burn your candle for approximately 3 hours to ensure the wax completely pools to the edge of the container. After the initial burn, keep your wicks trimmed to approximately ¼”. This will allow you to get the best life out of your new candle!
2. HOW DO I CLEAN MY CANDLE VESSEL?
Cleaning your candle containers is easy! All you need is hot soapy water to clean out the old wax, wick, and wick tab.
3. CAN I USE MY CANDLES AS OUTDOOR CANDLES?
Due to weather changes, you should not leave your candles unattended outside. Soy wax has a lower melting point meaning on hot summer days, it will melt. While on the chilly days, your candle has a strong possibility of cracking.
4. HOW DO I AVOID MY CANDLE FROM TUNNELING?
This first burn on a candle is very important! Fun fact: Candles form a memory! When you burn a candle for the first time you want to make sure that it burns evenly all the way across. You will know you have completed a good first burn once the melted wax meets the edge of your vessel. Depending on the size of your candle, your first burn may take anywhere between 2 to 3 hours.
After completing a good first burn, your candle has created the expectation to burn clean and evenly for the remainder of its life.
5. WHAT ARE THE DO'S AND DON’T'S WHEN USING THE CANDLE?
- Don’t leave unattended.
- Don’t tip it while burning and avoid placing it in drafts.
- Don’t play with the wax or try to move the wax around the jar. This will make the wax uneven and promote uneven burning.
- Don’t burn for more than 3 hours. Your wick can “mushroom” and create a large and unstable flame.
- Don’t forget to trim that wick! Untrimmed wicks lead to popping, smoking, and soot. This is how candles end up looking dirty and full of debris.
- Don’t burn in a small unventilated room.
- Don’t fall asleep with your candle burning.
- Keep the candle care card that is included in the package for easy reference.
- Enjoy and smell the candle! You deserve this relaxing day!